Results from my water skin care test

photo by Bern@t

photo by Bern@t

Last week, I wrote about switching to only warm water for my skin care routine (no cleansers or moisturizers allowed).

Here are three things I learned:

1. Using only water to cleanse is very liberating. I felt like a rebel against conventional skin care and it felt awesome.

2. Apparently, you need to have very good genes in order for this regimen to work.

3. I am not one of those people.

At first I was hopeful – “This is actually working!”

But as the week progressed, I started to feel a bit… dirty. Acne was popping up, and by popping, I mean, multiplying at a rate I was not comfortable with.

As a silent observer to my skin care woes, Mr. Right said, “Wouldn’t it be funny to find out good skin has nothing to do with the quality of the products? That its all related to stress?”

I gave him a, “That would be HILarious” look. (He decided to go back to silent observation.)

So I’m back to testing my way to perfect skin.

If I ever find a magic potion, you’ll be the first to know. Until then, I’ll be using water to supplement my skin care rather than define it.

If you love this post, can you help me by sharing it with others via the quick links below?

{ 1 trackback }

Peace and Projects » Blog Archive » Give me nothing and I’ll give you clearer skin
October 21, 2009 at 6:55 am

1 Jeffrey Tang October 21, 2009 at 8:57 am

Ah well … I guess the universe wasn’t as charmingly ironic as it could have been. Too bad.

On the topic of skin care, my mom used to swear by this line of products containing melaleuca. Perhaps you might want to check it out? (With a grain of salt, of course.)

2 Melissa October 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Hi Jeffrey – thanks for the comment! I LOVE comments. 😉

I’ll Google that ingredient. You never know where I’ll find hope in a bottle.

3 Dawn October 21, 2009 at 9:11 am

My sister was told to change her pillow case everyday when she was having trouble with acne, because bacteria is what causes some skin breakouts. Maybe your moisturizer is too thick. I love the Mk Timewise for oily to combination skin. It’s lighter. Just don’t dry out your skin.

4 Melissa October 21, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Pillowcase – interesting! Maybe I’ll test that for a week. But I don’t know what’s worse – acne or laundry!

5 Carmen October 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm

You know, those of us who have more oils in our skin (and I am one of those people) are lucky. Although we may get more breakouts, as we age our skin doesn’t wrinkle as quickly. I think I will take the occasional zit over wrinkles anyday!

6 Melissa October 22, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Awesome point, Carmen! Thanks for the comment.

What happens when I’m oily AND wrinkled?

I guess then I’ll switch to water for sure and use the money I save to buy more wine.

7 Sarah October 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm

One of the residents I used to take care of in a nursing home would rub a quarter-sized amount of olive oil on her face each night before bed. She said it kept the wrinkles away…and she was right…I would have guessed she was in her early 70’s, but she was in her late 90’s!!! Her skin was just beautiful! I’m not sure how it would work for pimples or acne though. Plus I’ve never been brave enough to try it for myself:)

8 mel May 13, 2010 at 10:45 am

I have actually used this on my very oily skin -and it works!! Google oil cleansing method to find out more, but it really is crazy rubbing more oil on your skin. Like breaks down like, so oil breaks down oil. I mix olive oil and castor oil and rub for 2 minutes, then use a hot washcloth to “steam” my face a few times. Use a small amount of olive oil as moisturizer if needed. It is worth a try!

9 Melissa May 13, 2010 at 11:49 am

Hi Mel – I tried the oil cleansing method with mixed results. Right now I am having luck with Dr. Bronner’s soap, Clinique moisturizer (fragrance free) and Aveda tinted moisturizer for foundation. My skin isn’t perfect – but it’s on a much better track!

10 Laura Jones October 26, 2009 at 11:22 am

way to give it a try sis! LOVE the blog, it’s so fun and I learn a lot!

11 Melissa October 26, 2009 at 11:55 am

Thanks Laura! Keep reading!

12 Sierra December 5, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Hey Melissa,

I recently stopped using cleansing products. All I do is ex-foliate my skin using a facial scrubbing cloth, which are about $2.00 in the grocery store. I’ve been doing this for about 3 months and have only had minimal acne since! I also use coconut oil to moisturize. The two best things you can do for your skin is ex-foliate to remove dead skin cells and dirt, and moisturize to help maintain the elasticity and collagen in your skin.

Sierra

13 Melissa December 6, 2010 at 9:01 am

Thanks for your tips! I will try these. I still have trouble with my skin, but much less since I minimized the stress in my life.