30 Spicy Ways to Heat Up Your Daily Life

Recently, I spent five days in sunny Mexico with Mr. Right and two dear friends.

This trip felt different compared to my past getaways. Why? Instead of hanging onto the thought of a vacation for dear life, leaving home felt a lot like any other day.

I was looking forward to it, sure. The difference was I didn’t feel desperate to escape my life anymore.

Instead, I was ready for some adventure. My desire for rest was replaced with a desire to luxuriate in life.

Four years ago, a trip to Mexico would have been my only chance to do absolutely nothing. There’s nothing wrong with that. If needed, I’ll have vacations like that again, too.

This year, Mexico was different

Instead of using my time to recharge from the exhaustion of daily life, I felt alive with adventure.

I wanted to explore.

I wanted to get out and experience Mexico in new ways (and eat guacamole for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so?).

Sparking your inner explorer

We packed plenty of exploring into our five day trip. We were able to experience a quaint Mexican village (with free tequila tasting, cheers).

We went on a zip line adventure through the mountains of Puerto Vallarta. Here’s proof:

Fact: That’s something I wouldn’t have done four years ago. It felt amazing.

Changing my life has led to a new perspective on the world. I want to explore it, learn new things and share incredible experiences with the people I love.

Which got me thinking.

What if we could embrace a little adventure at home, too?

Even with the mundane chores that fill up family life … what if we could heat up our daily life in simple ways?

Introducing a new project: 30 Ways

Who: Parents looking to spice up their daily life (singles welcome to play!)

When: You can start anytime, for 30 days. (I’m starting tomorrow, Feb. 2, 2011)

Where: The world is our playground.

How 30 Ways works: Try something new or do something you haven’t done since having kids for the next 30 days. A few more thoughts:

• Include your kids in some of the activities!
  • Heat up your date nights
  • Volunteer
  • Overcome a fear (like the icky spiders that might be lurking in the Mexican rain forest … I didn’t see any!)
  • Do something unexpected
  • Stretch, grow, experience
  • Choose something lengthy, like snowshoeing down a trail, or something ridiculously easy to incorporate, like cooking Israeli spice chicken for dinner.

Don’t miss out! Sign up for free updates and follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

If you’re looking forward to this series, please let people know on Facebook and Twitter. Thank you!

Photo by zabara_tango

1 Lynn February 1, 2011 at 5:49 pm

i’m in!!

are we going to have an israeli spice chicken battle? my recipe is a little different.

2 Melissa February 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Fight, fight, fight! I mean, what?
Ha, no battle – I’ll probably make your version instead of the one I linked. Where did you get your version? Maybe I’ll switch the link since you know how good it is.
xoxo
MG

3 Living the Balanced Life February 2, 2011 at 11:52 am

Sounds good to me. It’s important to do different things to spice up life a bit!
Can’t wait!
A break from our regularly scheduled programming…

4 Lynn February 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

my recipe is old skool, pre-internet, from a cookbook off the bargain display at B & N.

let me know if you want to get together as families and have a little middle-eastern feast…we have lots of yummy recipes in that book. the cucumber salad is from the same book too.

5 Melissa February 3, 2011 at 9:29 am

That would be so much fun! Let’s plan it for next week!

6 Marci | Liberating Choices February 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love the zip line photo – what perspective and bravery! Vacations are usually to vacate, aren’t they? I love your idea about enjoying our life so much, that a vacation is just another day, another way to explore and learn something new. We are going to Colorado this summer to stay in the mountains, in a cabin. I’m excited, although this is not my typical choice for vacation, I look forward to learning a lot of new things and exploring new territory.

As for today, I took the car out on a “snow drive” – foot of snow yesterday in Missouri – to see if I could make it out of the driveway. We did – made it to the library to get 2 things – it was closed. I thought of it as an adventure, and was much less scared. I was cautiously adventuresome 🙂

7 Melissa February 3, 2011 at 9:28 am

That trip to Colorado sounds wonderful. I keep thinking I need one more warm getaway to escape the Wisconsin winter … we’ll see.

Only a foot of snow and the library is closed?? haha, just kidding. We are good friends with snow here in WI. Glad to hear you ventured out. To exploring!