Thaw

A few weeks ago in Wisconsin, we enjoyed an early thaw.

The snow melted. Sunlight streamed over our neighborhood so strong you’d want to be a cat in the windowsill.

It wasn’t long before the snow returned, but it was too late. I already had a taste for spring. Good energy lingered, buried beneath the snowbanks.

Thaw gave me hope.

In those few days, I remembered winter doesn’t last forever. Nature was already at work, changing that. Waiting again now with ice, snow and freezing temps, I’m clinging to that beautiful promise.

Thaw isn’t just for seasons.

It can happen to your life, too. Just like a stream becomes visible through a hole in the ice, thaw can transform everything. A trickle becomes a rush becomes a free river boiling with momentum.

You’ll feel it when the scale finally tips in your favor. When your old jeans button without a struggle.

When your debt starts to disappear, little by little … You’ll wrap yourself in that beautiful glimpse of the future.

When you’re working, working, working and finally: Payoff. A finished product. Like a lake breaking apart in spring.

This message is simple, but important. Don’t give up on your goals while you’re waiting for a sign. Focus. Do what needs to be done and work hard. Don’t get sloppy.

The thaw will come.

Photo byΒ slack12

Special note:

If you’re new to Peace & Projects, welcome! You might be interested in the Top 10 Peace & Projects Posts of 2010.

Devoted readers: Check out my guest post onΒ Zen Habits. This is a huge honor for me. Spread the love all around.

1 Living the Balanced Life February 25, 2011 at 11:13 am

Thaw. I cannot imagine living where it is snow for months at a time. Your picture was awesome!
And I loved this post. Short, sweet, but so true!
And congrats on Zen Habits!
8 ways to find joy everyday

2 Timaree (freebird) February 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm

God, I hope so! I needed this message today. Thank you.

3 stef February 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I have also heard it worded “different seasons of life” I love that! Whatever we are faced with, it will be only for a time and then things will change. We will learn and grow and move on. Thanks for sharing the hope!

4 Melissa February 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

“learn, grow and move on” – lovely! Thanks for stopping by.
xoxo

5 Sharon Mayhew February 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Great post both here and over at Zen Habits. You make some great points. I love how comfortable you are in your new role. I’ve been struggling with mine. I was able to define myself as a teacher, but now that I am a writer/mother/housewife it’s not as easy to define publically. You do it very graciously. πŸ™‚

6 Melissa February 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

That’s interesting – yes, I agree, it takes work to define it. I know some family members secretly wonder: “What does Melissa do all day?”
πŸ™‚
Take care! Thanks for sharing.

7 Renee Bledsoe February 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm

What an inspiring blog, Melissa. Saw you on Leo’s guest post… what a find. Your eye for life is truly artistic and inspirational, your way of revealing what you see is magical. I love checking in with the kaleidescope of differing perspectives and getting one that just rocks! Thank you so much for sharing your self with us.

8 Melissa February 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Hi Renee,
I love your description – very beautiful. Thank you for stopping by and connecting,

9 helenbobelen February 26, 2011 at 11:23 am

“Focus. Do what needs to be done…Don’t get sloppy.” Good words in a world full of distractions : ). Thanks for your mindful posts!

10 Melissa February 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Glad you enjoyed the post, Helen. Peace to you!

11 Marci | Liberating Choices February 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Beautiful photo, words, and guest post! Burnout can be so motivating, if we let it.
“Life is a masterpiece” – love this.

I’m starting to thaw too, getting into my groove, letting others be in their own groove πŸ™‚

12 Melissa February 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for your encouragement, Marci. Your comments are like a ray of sunshine.

13 Adeel Edhi February 27, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Hello there! Found your guest post at ZenHabits a couple of hours ago, followed to your blog and have read a number of blogs. They are inspiring, i can relate myself to them πŸ™‚

14 LeRoy Dean February 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Great words and thoughts…love the photography. Thanks.

15 Vicki February 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I don’t give alot of thought to coincidence and I’m not sure where I stand on destiny…but coming across your blog today feels like some divine intervention. I actually found you through a post on Zen Habits about Burnout. Today I have returned to my job after having to take three days off last week due to burnout. I had become so anxiety ridden that I couldn’t focus long enough to answer simple emails. I had lost all confidence in myself and my judgement. I had no choice but to take the days off just to quell the sadness and fear. The rest has settled my anxiety enough to return – but I am still overwhelmed and have moments where the stress begins to well up. I know that “if it’s to be, it’s up to me” but my lack of confidence and whacked out thinking have made taking action difficult. I was inspired by the post about burnout because it tapped into some truths that have been rolling around in the cobwebs in my head. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading more.

16 Melissa February 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hi Vicki,
First, thank you for sharing this with my readers. I can’t tell you how meaningful it is to hear that finding my blog feels like “divine intervention.” That blows my mind.
Sometimes burnout requires serious measures – like going to the doctor for a checkup. (I have done this in the past for panic attacks.) Now that I have a slower, simpler life by my own rules, the anxiety is gone – unless I fill my life up to bursting again. Then I know I need to take a step back.
Much peace to you – I’m sending you peaceful vibes, can you feel them? πŸ™‚

17 Amanda March 1, 2011 at 7:54 am

I just read your guest post on Zen Habits. I have been reading Zen Habits for a year or two now. I also experienced a Burn OUT and wanted to simplify and add peace to my hectic life caused by work. I wanted to be MOMMY first! I love reading about how other people did it and you’re post hit home the minute I read the title! I’m going to add you to my feed to continue to be an inspiration. I finally made that first step too creating my own job too and I hope to learn more from you! Thank you!
Amanda

18 Melissa March 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Excellent to hear, Amanda! Feel free to email me with any questions – I’ll do my best to help.
πŸ™‚