Celebrating Our Strengths (share yours here)

Last week, I decided to begin a simplicity experiment based the idea that we can let go of the need to do everything. Here’s that post, in case you missed it:

I soul-searched. I self-reflected. Today, I wanted to share some things I feel are my personal strengths (and hear yours!). Why? Because knowing who we are can help us simplify our lives. I promise, this will all make sense as we go through the series together.

(Did you hear? I’m posting every Wednesday now. Sign up for email updates or stay in the loop via Twitter or Facebook.)

My Strengths (things I’m naturally good at, or things I love to do).

• Organizing
  • Writing
  • Self-motivated
  • Able to break big problems down into the manageable tasks. (NOTE: If you want help simplifying your weaknesses, I’m going to request some anonymous reader lists soon. Put me to work!)
  • Peace-loving (I avoid drama. Interestingly enough, this can be a weakness at times.)
  • Will eat almost anything
  • I can easily lift a three pound weight. WOO!
I’d love to see your list. Can you leave it in the comments below? It’s not bragging, it’s participating in an experiment. So, write that list!
Photo by Nebulaskin

1 JulieB June 19, 2013 at 7:59 am

Good morning!

Things I am good at and love to do:
Reading, Writing, Swimming, Teaching, Teaching swimming ;), Cooking, Gardening (I love it more than am good at it), Communicating with others (usually), Avoiding conflict (I know exactly what you mean on this one!).

I always enjoy the posts. Hope the writing/editing is going well.

J

2 Melissa June 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi Julie,
The writing is going well! Thanks for asking. I hope to submit my book to agents and editors this summer.

I love your list and look forward to the upcoming posts as we all work to simplify our lives.

3 AmandaT June 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

You know, I’d never seen “Peace-loving” as a strength. I’d always framed it in myself as “conflict avoidance” which I’m sure you’re thinking of in your sometimes a weakness aside. Very nice to see it as a strength, thank you.

My list?
Comforting people and animals, knowing when people need help, Math, computers, complex problem solving, interpreting what people are really saying, relaxing (I positively excel at relaxing).

4 Melissa June 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

It is definitely a strength! Also, I think I need to add relaxing to my list. Not everyone is so lucky in this busy world.
🙂

5 Angela June 19, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Always encouraged and learn something by your posts!

I am good at cooking, baking, cleaning (love laundry and having it all done for 5 seconds) and I would love to be a good gardener but admittedly am not.

6 Melissa June 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for participating, Angela! More to come next week.
xo

7 Tonia June 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I love this experiment!

I struggled to come up with a long list of strengths but did find a few:
Organizing, decorating, gardening. And my hubby’s contribution: being a good wife and mama. 🙂

8 Melissa June 21, 2013 at 12:01 pm

What a sweet husband! Love your list. Next week’s post on weaknesses will help the experiment make sense.

Thanks for joining in!

9 Taylor June 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I am very resourceful, and creative, and I have a love for learning and self improvement.

10 Melissa June 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hi Taylor,

I love this list! I can really relate to it. Thanks for participating!

11 Lori L. June 22, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Reading, gardening and cuddling babies! I love your blog, maybe I should add reading blogs 😉

12 Melissa June 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I am awesome at cuddling my 2-month old niece! She’s my sugar doodle. Thanks for sharing your strengths!