Big News!

cupids_arrow

You guys! This is the really big one!

I sold my book.

Well, Carrie, my amazingly smart and fashionable agent sold my book– and FINALLY, we can announce our thrilling secret to the world. (You have no idea how much it’s hurt to keep this news to myself for the past 11 days, 13 hours and four minutes.)

I’m beyond thrilled to announce that I’ll be working on ARROWS with Wendy Loggia, Executive Editor for Random House Children’s Books/Delacorte Press. (RANDOM HOUSE. The largest general-interest trade book publisher in the world. This is all sinking in, little by little …)

Wendy’s edited a ton of brilliant authors, such as:

This moment is a dream come true. (Swap out the title below.)

dream-book

There are so many people to thank.

Firstly, I would not be writing this post without the incredible support of my husband, Shea.

missyshea

(Photo from our first year dating. Aw! That’s 11 years ago.)

When I told him I wanted to quit my day job and write books, he said, “Okay. I think you can do it.” This process would have taken me twice as long–probably longer–if he hadn’t agreed to take a risk.

He’s my first reader, my biggest fan and the best husband a girl could ask for. I love you, babe! We’re going to enjoy every second of this success, because we earned it, together.

* * *

Thanks to my agent, Carrie, who helped me revise with tons of patience and insight. She’s as sweet as she is smart, and a true joy to work with.

To Brenda Drake and Sharon Johnston, who helped bring Carrie and I together during #PitMad.

Thanks to Nate, who inspired the idea for a cupid book in the first place. (Shea and I are visiting you soon for more inspiration, so get ready.)

To my beta readers! Tracy, Carmen, Miranda, Susan and Alexa. You guys rock! ARROWS wouldn’t be where it is today without your thoughtful critique and ideas. Thank you so much.

Thanks to Sharon, Molly and Katie, my favorite librarians, for your friendship and encouragement through the years. Remember when you said you want to shelve MY book at the library!? Well, YES, that’s happening … but not until Fall 2015 (at the earliest).

Thanks to my SCBWI writer pals: Linda, Marcia, Susan M., Elizabeth, Heather, Angie, Chris (who am I forgetting?! I love you all!).

Thanks to my step-kids, who have survived this crazy plot as well, along with all my other supportive family members: parents, sisters, brother, in-laws, all of you!

Finally, a quick shout-out to my nieces and nephews, who keep me smiling (and chasing them for kisses). xoxo. Auntie loves you!

I’ll wrap up this post by pasting the blurb from Publisher’s Weekly below. Time to pop the champagne.

“Wendy Loggia at Delacorte has acquired Arrows by debut author Melissa Gorzelanczyk. In the novel, pitched as “Greek mythology meets MTV’s Teen Mom,” a cupid-in-training from Olympus shoots a ballet prodigy with an arrow, realizing too late that the other arrow in his pack is useless, causing a tragically one-sided enchantment. It’s scheduled for fall 2015; Carrie Howland at Donadio & Olson did the deal for world rights.”

Cheers.

Photo by Forrest Tanaka

{ 1 trackback }

Final Sale of The Hybrid Homemaker ebook (and Free Download) - Peace and Projects
July 30, 2014 at 9:01 am

1 Sharon Verbeten February 4, 2014 at 5:32 pm

SO proud of you Melissa! Can’t wait to read it, shelve it on our shelves (as you mentioned!) and get you in for a book signing! Looking forward to seeing you at the Random House book booth someday at ALA!

2 Melissa February 4, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Thank you, Sharon! I’d love to take part in all of those things.

3 Trisha Dallmann February 4, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Congratulations! Honestly, I’m not surprised. I knew a very long time ago that you were a writer, and the world just didn’t know it yet. I’ll never forget “Mara” and the horse story you were determined to write in the tent we were camped out in just outside your parent’s house. 🙂 It makes me smile to know that your dream to become a recognized writer has come to fruition. God graciously blessed you with an amazing imagination and I’m so happy for your success with it. Yours is a story of hard work and that same determination you had when we were little girls. Really proud of you, girl! Love you.

4 Melissa February 5, 2014 at 10:25 am

Haha, oh, Mara and that black horse. I still have that book. Though I don’t think the black horse idea wasn’t as original as we’d hoped. 🙂

It makes ME smile to remember how you, Mindy and Crystal all survived my novels as a teen — and filled out those long questionnaires. I saved them, and they’re filled with all our code names like Zonzers and Mountains. 🙂 We were weird. Are weird? Hmm …

🙂

Love you, too!

5 Marcia Hoehne February 4, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Oh, my goodness! This is fabulous news! Huge congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Melissa February 5, 2014 at 10:25 am

Thank you, Marcia!

7 Kelley Grace Quakkelaar February 4, 2014 at 7:37 pm

So proud of you! You deserve it! So exciting.

8 Melissa February 5, 2014 at 10:26 am

Thanks! It finally feels like writing books is my real job now.

9 Miranda Paul February 5, 2014 at 10:26 am

YOU IS A ROCK STAR!! Can’t wait to read the book and buy tons of copies at full price from my local, independent bookstore. Enjoy this moment. You deserve it!! xoxo

10 Melissa February 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I love it. Yes, we will have to have a book signing at The Reader’s Loft, for sure! We can do one together? 2015 is going to be an awesome year for us!

11 Mona Leigh February 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I’m so happy for you!! I’m also a YA writer but haven’t finished a novel yet. So excited for you:)

12 Allen February 6, 2014 at 5:02 am

I haven’t talked to you in a very long time, but I saw this news via FB and I wanted to say Congratulations! It’s such a huge accomplishment, and I know you’ve worked very hard for it. I hope things keep looking bigger and brighter in your future!

13 Melissa February 11, 2014 at 9:31 am

Well, hi! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope things are going well for you!

14 Sandy Paluch February 7, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Congratulations. We are so proud & happy for you. Can’t wait to read your. book.
Sandy

15 Melissa February 11, 2014 at 9:32 am

Thank you, Sandy! 2015 feels far away, but I’ll bet the time will fly by.

xoxo

16 JulieB February 8, 2014 at 9:13 am

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to reading it, and passing it on to my students. 🙂

17 Melissa February 11, 2014 at 9:34 am

Oh, yay! That’s the best news! Perhaps I could come in for a school visit when the time comes.

Thanks for reading!

18 Gramma Jeanie February 16, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I am so excited about the book, so proud of you and I just can’t wait to read it!
Love You Bunches!

19 Melissa March 6, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Thanks, Grandma! I love you so much!

20 James February 21, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I’m happy for you, congratulations, I look forward to reading your book

21 Melissa March 6, 2014 at 5:32 pm